So QA found out a debug setting we used for logging errors was causing the CTD's after DICE left work last night. As such the patch is good to be released and is going live now.Steam users will have to wait until this evening to update as we need Valve to wake up to make it live their end. If you want to run the latest version you can uninstall the Steam version and grab the client from any host here, and use the same login details as before.
You can update automatically when loading BFBC2 or you can manually run the updater from your install directory (run as Administrator if you experience update issues or errors).
This update is about performance and stability again. We are not doing any changes to the game's datafiles.
Reduced input "lag:"
- On machines where the CPU would out-run the GPU, sometimes the GPU would queue up several frames' worth of rendering commands. This could lead to the game having a high framerate, but input still feeling very sluggish. Now there's a limiter on how many frames the CPU is allowed to be "ahead" of the GPU. Control this setting via Settings.ini. Default setting: RenderAheadLimit=2
Performance optimizations with biggest improvements on dual-core machines
Fixed black "masks:"
- The soot on buildings with holes in them had a bugged renderpath. We switched that over to a more well-tested renderpath.
- We've gone through the hit detection logic, and client+server will now give more consistent results.
Fix for some "rubberbanding" issues:
- C4 should stay attached to vehicles and not rubberband around
Reduced spikes/dips in framerate
Various fixes for alt+tab related CTD on Dx9
More fixes for random CTD on Dx9
Fix for crash when you're in a vehicle that gets destroyed:
- There was a race condition in the code; System 1 thought "oh hey, you're leaving vehicle X"; System 2 thought "the vehicle got destroyed, let's remove it." If system 2 ran before system 1, chaos would ensue. This was actually fixed in the retail version since a month, but it was only when we got detailed crash reports from the community that we understood *why* the Beta was crashing.
Likely bugs in this build:
- I wouldn't be surprised if it (still) has trouble remembering your settings between rounds. It would be nice to have that fixed too, but it's better to get a patch out now, and look at the settings issues afterward.
Thursday, February 18, 2010
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 BETA - Patch Released
EA and DICE announce the release of a new patch for the Battlefield: Bad Company 2 PC beta: